[Groop]OT-Nigeria (sorry)

jo567779@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu jo567779@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 09:05:44 -0500

Quoting Azamin <azamin7@pd.jaring.my>:

> A few years ago, the same people organized the pagent in India.. which
> recieved a strong protest from women's right and hindu/muslim
> organizations.  As a result,  the swim suit part was shifted to
> Maldives....  This pagent is really manipulating womens as sex object..
> but why did those who want equal rights for womens did nothing...?
> (except those in India)...   They're erred.... they're grooed...

Exactly. While I respect local cultures, and would be very happy if there is a
Nigerian contestant in the contest, it's just common sense not to take a beauty
pageant where it is distinctly not welcome. By the way, a correction, it was a
newspaper in another nearby country that ran the article, the newspaper has
since apologized for causing offense, and the local office of the paper was
burned by rioters.

I still think the fault lies with the pageant, not the newspaper for stating
Muhammed would want a beauty contestant as a wife. Who wouldn't want a pretty
wife? It's not insulting to the Prophet at all, but a compliment that he would
appreciate beauty. Why riot over this?

-John