[Groop] dvd cd misc viability

Chad Riden chad at chadriden.com
Tue May 25 07:06:16 PDT 2004

> Sure, if there were a real groo cd rom thingy, I would get it,
> probably look at it a few times, and store it for when family visits
> and I don't want them touching my original bagged groos.  But no, I
> don't want stolen merchandise.  Last thing you want is groo knocking
> at your door with a lawsuit like napster.

I, on the other hand, have been searching P2P networks for Groo ever
since somebody mentioned that they saw it available somewhere.. I've
been unsuccessful, but if I ever did find Sergio's work online, I'll
download it and enjoy it myself. I'd never redistribute it in any form
though.. and of course, I'll continue to buy all official Groo products
whether or not bootlegs are available.

Like somebody else said, I spend the vast majority of my day in front
of a computer & I'd read Groo every day if I had a digital copy of my
comics. I'm afraid to pull out my bagged, boarded and boxed issues
'cause I've got a one-year-old girl running around my house who would
love to chew on them. Plus, my laptop is always with me, whereas
carrying around GN's or TPB's doesn't work with my lifestyle.

I'm afraid this is going to be exactly like downloading music.. the
industry doesn't have a legal solution in place that offers protection
for artists / owners, even though the demand is clearly there for a
product that doesn't exist.. so the computer-dork consumers will come
up with a way to make illegal copies available for sharing and by the
time the legitimate owners in the industry realize what is happening
and want a piece of the action they're behind the curve and have to
play catch-up.

Josh's offer of hosting online versions on Groo.com is really
interesting to me.. how cool would it be to have a paid subscribers
only section where you could read Groo? It'd be really sweet if one
could download a copy (pdf?) and have rights to copy it to x number of
computers, but not redistribute it (kinda the way Apple does iTunes
maybe). I dunno.

--
Thanks for putting up with my crap,

Chad M. Riden