[Groop] Keyboarding...Dvorak?

Vaughn H. Seward vaughn at sewardconsulting.com
Wed Oct 20 07:14:34 PDT 2004

A few years back I kept hearing of the benefits of the Dvorak keyword
layout. It provides for less awkward finger movements. It is claimed that
you can type faster and longer without as much stress to your fingers and
wrists. The design of the early typewriters was such that they had trouble
with keys sticking at faster typing speeds. To get around this the keyboard
was deliberately laid out to slow typists down (and thus the QWERTY
layout). So today we are using a legacy keyboard design explicitly
engineered to be slow and awkward.

Anyhow, I had a 2 week vacation in 2001 and decided to become a Dvorkee (on
Windows computers it is built-in, you just change your regional settings).
It wasn't easy but after a few of months I was pretty much as fast as I was
before. The only trouble now is when I use someone else's keyboard (which
is rare) it is very slow going. However, the awkwardness of QWERTY is very
apparent. Here is a web page describing my experiences in more detail:

http://members.shaw.ca/vseward/dvorak.html

Perhaps if the world had been using a layout like Dvorak there would be
less incidents of carpal tunnel.

~Vaughn Seward