[Groop] Defending DeFuccio's Hiers

Larry Steller mrgrooism at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 27 20:24:18 PDT 2008

--- On Wed, 8/27/08, John T <comics230 at cox.net> wrote:

> As a part time dealer, I've been to lots of estate
> sales. Most of time
> collections are 'picked through' by the family.
> They usually keep the pieces
> that they fondly remember or are extremely valuable. ..

Good points, John.

Gary, can you imagine if everyone who wished to sell a piece of original artwork contacted the original artist, in many case artists-plural (penciller, inker, colorist) to get permission first? Do you really imagine these artists would want to be constantly bothered by fans calling them all the time for stuff like this? It's a very unreasonable expectation.

I would imagine that even Sergio, close as he is to his fans, would NOT want me calling him up to ask if it's okay to sell a sketch I commissioned because I'm having trouble paying the rent. He'd probably say "you bought it, it's yours to sell" (which IS correct, even of gifts), but would he want the intrusion into his life, especially often?

I know you are very protective of Sergio, your heart is in the right place, but Gary, I believe strongly that it is wrong to criticize someone for merely selling what IS RIGHTLY theirs to sell.

-Larry "mrgrooism" Steller, Master Mendicant

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

Favorite Links:
YANKEE STADIUM TOURS: http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/ballpark/stadium_tours.jsp
FORGOTTEN NEW YORK: http://www.forgotten-ny.com
LIBRARYTHING: http://www.librarything.com